generated by sloganizer.net

Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Vulture Fund by Stephen Frey

The Vulture Fund The Vulture Fund by Stephen W. Frey


My review


Rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read this Stephen Frey book because I thought it would be interesting to see how a plot could be developed using investment banking as the backdrop for a mystery/thriller. Unfortunately, the story was not even close to plausible, and that I found disappointing. However, this is not to say I didn't like the book at all. Frey has a wide variety of characters most of whom play against each other, and at the very center of this is the mystery concerning who is really pulling all the strings for a nefarious scheme to raise a huge amount of money over a short time period. This gave me some incentive to keep on reading. Given the current very real global economic crisis, The Vulture Fund could have been relevant to today's financial headlines. Instead, because of its unlikely story development, the book fell short of my expectations.

If Frey were relying on his own experience in investment banking, he has a very low opinion of women working within this industry. His opinion of men isn't much higher. In short, men are pigs, and women are pig farmers. That doesn't make anyone very likable. None of the characters were ever developed enough to make the reader care what happened to them.

Perhaps someone who really really likes reading mystery thrillers would enjoy this book, but I'll pass on anything more by Stephen Frey.

View all my reviews.

No comments: