generated by sloganizer.net

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel It's" My F---ing Birthday: A Novel by Merrill Markoe

My review

Rating: 5 of 5 stars
It is easy to see why Merrill Markoe was the head writer for the David Letterman Show. She has such a wonderful way with wry humor and wit. I loved this book as we traveled through birthdays with the narrator and her unbelievably atrocious celebrations. I could sympathize and relate to the characterizations of her mother... to some degree most women will be able to do that, although I take no pride in the fact that I understood it in the extreme.

At the beginning of this book, the narrator seems overwhelmed by the relationships in her life and how on earth to adequately deal with them. Through the years she becomes better at understanding her participation in continuing these disasters, and we hope that by the end of the book she'll be able to anticipate the catastrophies rather than constantly have to clean up after them. That doesn't necessarily mean a happy ending; but there is certainly a satisfying one.

Normally when I finish my books I give them away, unless I plan to read them again. I'm going to hold on to It's My F---ing Birthday: A Novel because I know I'll be rereading it.

View all my reviews.

No comments: