generated by sloganizer.net

Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Troop by Nick Cutter

The TroopThe Troop by Nick Cutter
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Troop by Nick Cutter

Stephen King, the man who made me afraid of storm drains and who verified for me that clowns are creepy and should be avoided at all costs, says that **The Troop** by Nick Cutter scared the hell out of him, and that he couldn't put the book down. After finishing **The Troop**, I would have to agree with King on this one. It was difficult for me to shake off this story after I'd read it. Of course, I know this is just a writer's imagination, ( it couldn't really happen, right??) but it's a very good book, and while it may not have storm drains and clowns, it does make me think more about hunger pangs and what young teenaged boys are REALLY thinking. Since I don't read lots of this genre, I love to come across a knock-it-out-of-the-ball-park homerun when I do pick up this type of book. Nick Cutter nailed it.

Maybe it's because I remember going on weekend camping trips with my Girl Scout Troop when I was young. I remember how creepy some of those woodsy settings could be, and I remember siting around campfires listening to stories specially tailored to make my hair stand on end. I haven't had that experience for many years, but The Troop brought all that back for me. Yes, not only was it creepy, but reading all those descriptions of wormy organisms made me shiver, but the book was done so well that I just could not put it down. Cutter, in my view, has a talent for writing this kind of material in such a realistic way which made me unable to stop without knowing how it all ended. And he did end it very well, too. It was not only a fitting ending, but it was haunting as well.

I would not recommend this book to someone who is about to go on a camping excursion any time soon, but The Troop is a must-read for anyone who likes the horror genre done in such a way as to make the reader wonder, "what if..." This is definitely a 5 star book, and I look forward to reading anything Nick Cutter does in the future.

I received an ARC of this book from Net Galley in return for which I agreed to give feedback.


View all my reviews

No comments: