generated by sloganizer.net

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Booked By 3: March

I found this as a saved entry I must have begun in March. Okay, so it's now May. The question is still relevant even if it's a bit late. :)

It's a painful practice most of the time, but with a finite amount of space, sometimes, books must be weeded from the collection.

  1. Do you weed regularly? If so, how often? If not, why not? When I moved residences two years ago was the first time I'd "weeded" in a long time. Frankly I just don't have the stomach for it. But I had no choice; I had to get rid of some books. It was a very depressing task for me. I'd decided to give the books I'd chosen to abandon (and that's exactly how I felt about the whole process) to Goodwill, a Senior Center, and the local Public Library.

    With the exception of that one mass slaughter of my bookcases, I routinely segregate books I've read into a box. When that box is full, I then sort through it for Step 2...

  2. Do you have guidelines you stick with? Yes. If I don't believe I'll ever read the book again, or if I didn't like it, or if it has nothing that would serve as some future reference I may need (non-fiction fits this category), then I put the books into a box for donating to either the community library or Goodwill.

  3. Are there books you would never weed? Yes! I never toss out classics, anything by Ed McBain, most non-fiction, or Agatha Christie.

No comments: